Join us on our Autumn visit to historic Tower Hamlets Cemetery.
Originally called The City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery, it was created by an Act of Parliament and opened in 1841. It was one of the famous seven cemeteries, now known as the Magnificent Seven, opened in response to London's rapid population growth and overcrowded urban burial grounds.
Known locally as Bow Cemetery, around 350,000 people were buried in Cemetery Park between 1841 and 1966, mainly working class people from the local area. They include Alexander Hurley, famous music hall artist and pugilist, Will Crooks, London’s first Labour mayor, three of Dr Thomas Barnardo's own children, and more than five hundred children who died whilst in Dr Barnardo’s care.
The Cemetery Park closed to burials and became a public park in 1966, and is now cared for and managed for biodiversity by The Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, a registered charity, on behalf of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. As well as a place of remembrance, the cemetery park is now also a local nature reserve.
Note due to social distancing, places are very limited. Upon booking, please find important further visit information attached to your order confirmation email. Note this is not an online event.